Filing for divorce could be a complicated task. You hear about quick divorces, and then there are “messy” divorces and the “divorce from hell.” There are many tasks required when it comes to any divorce. In the modern day, you can now utilize free divorce forms online.
What are divorce forms?
Divorce forms are papers where both parties provide information and form agreements to legally settle their divorce. Divorce documents are useful tools for future reference when it comes to financial issues, properties and having children.
Is obtaining a free divorce form online the best thing to do?
Filling out forms yourself can save a lot of time and money as opposed to hiring a divorce lawyer. If cost is a concern for you and there are no children or property divisions that may be involved, then using a free divorce form online may be the best for you. These are some of the benefits you can get from using divorce forms online:
– Immediacy and convenience – Using a divorce form online does not require you to show up in court and will not hinder you from traveling or relocating.
– Financial security – Divorce papers can secure your finances now and in the future.
– Good for uncontested divorces – Online divorce sites are tailored for uncontested divorces where both parties agree to make a mutual separation.
– Lower costs – You can represent yourself as your own lawyer without bringing in a third party or incurring extra costs. Online divorce services that aren’t free still offer their services at a much lower cost (less than $1,000) compared to hiring a lawyer, which can cost you thousands of dollars.
– Improved forms – There are now many free divorce forms online that deal with more complicated property divisions.
Although many do use free divorce forms online, they still have some risk. In some cases, online divorce services may not be for you. Here are the downsides of using online divorce services:
– Online forms usually pay attention only to technical aspects—issues that are more complicated and emotional like in the case of child abuse or financial disputes cannot benefit from answering technical questions alone.
– Online divorce services cannot offer complete financial protection. If one party is dominant over the other when it comes to sharing assets, these assets could be split unfairly.
– Not all online divorce forms are for every state.
Where can I find safe websites?
Look for national websites. For example, a national website usually indicates what state its legal forms are appropriate for. The services provided in these websites are absolutely legal. The process of online forms involves signing, notarization and filing and can take only two days.
Since every state has its own laws, try to search for online services that specifically cater to the particular state you are in.
Do not consider online services as your lawyers. These services only act as a guide to assist you in the preparation of your divorce.